21 November, 2008

1 Peter 3:7

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.
This passage has always bothered me. How should I respond to it? Male and female roles in society have changed a lot from what they used to be, and will change again, I'm sure. So my initial response was to shove it under the (often inaccurate) blanket statement that, well, it must have been a cultural thing, and it doesn't apply to me now. But if all scripture is inspired by God and useful for many things, then how did this verse get into the Bible? The implications are a lot more serious than merely a cultural difference. Prayer is not a cultural thing, so how could Peter say that it could be hindered by something cultural?

After attacking this from a lot of different angles, the Holy Spirit illumined the scriptures to me. This passage is making no claims that all women are weaker than all men. I am not married, right? So it is making no claims about me, either. And if I am to be married some day, then I most certainly do want to marry a man who is spiritually stronger than I so that he can lead our family. So, when I get married, this verse will certainly apply to my husband. COOL!

3 comments:

The Stranger said...

Nice! Gotta love that interpretation.

Ps.

The word verification was quest... I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Haha!

Your PS was ambiguous...at first, I thought you meant to say that my usage of the word "verification" was questionable, not that the "word verification" of your comment was "quest" :-P

Clear Ambassador said...

I'm wondering: what are your thoughts on women in the military? Do you think they should be in the armed forces? Or on the front lines?