29 January, 2006

The weather still continues charming

Oh! What a delightful time I had this weekend. Charming, in fact. Positively charming. I only wish I could share it with more friends. I implore you all, go visit the O'Reilly Theater soon and see "The Importance of Being Earnest", by all means! 'Twas truly a fantastic play in all respects. Actually, I intend to see it again with my parents (and friends? You're welcome to come) before it is finished running. I found nothing inappropriate, and everything to commend it by.

What a catharsis! And how easy it was for me to fall under the sway of the actors' convincing vicarious emotions. I was completely convinced that the characters were real until I saw Jack's real life counterpart standing in jeans and a sweatshirt, talking to a patron.

Even reading the script brings forth laughter, but the actors delivered their lines in a precise, Victorian manner, it was positively thrilling. And when slight mishaps occurred (the floor seemed to be slippery at one point), the actors rebounded well. It was so nice to applaud or laugh after a particularly excellent moment and see the actors graciously accepting the interaction, instead of pretending it wasn't there or trying to speak over our applause.

The scenery was all black and white. It was a tad distracting at first, especially the black topiaries in the "garden" scene, but it produced an interesting contrast with the characters who were dressed in quite colorful and complex costumes. Cecily's dress was positively dreamy.

The theatrical conventions were absolutely charming! Footmen and butlers as stagehands! How convenient. I want a butler for my birthday!! :-)

Oscar Wilde's imaginative mind combined with the charming acting and the superb costumes and scenery gave me so many laughs and thrills, it was quite amazing. I lost hope of ever remembering significant quotes to use later on unsuspecting victims. But here is a brief slice of the humor:
(Jack). "Gwendolen, it is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth. Can you forgive me?"
(Gwendolen). "I can. For I feel that you are sure to change."

No comments: