02 February, 2006

My Campus

I just realized that I love my school's campus. I may not like school terribly, but there are benefits. I have classes in an old, Gothic structure that's the tallest university building in the world. (http://www.wqed.org/erc/pghist/units/folks/oakland_tour02.shtml) When I'm done with classes, I can walk a block away from that building and see the Carnegie Music Hall, the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Schenley Park, Phipps Conservatory, and the best library I have ever been in yet. Besides, of course, the proliferous structures of my own university.

I adore the library. I love the Diplodocus carnegii sculpture by Forbes Avenue, reminding me where the entrance to the library is, since he's almost looking at it. (http://www.wqed.org/erc/pghist/units/folks/oakland_tour02.shtml) Apparently, even "prehistoric" animals had sports affiliations-I noticed a black and gold scarf wrapped around that elegant neck of his as I walked past.

Greeting me at the library's glass doors are large stone letters, raised from the stone face of the building, proclaiming, "FREE TO THE PUBLIC". My gaze is then drawn to the names of authors and scientists and explorers engraved on the eaves of the building, in the Roman fashion of course. (http://www.epodunk.com/top10/misspelled/) Though the towers were torn down long ago, this old building holds memories and wonders too numerous to mention. The famous twin stairwells to either side of the entrance are so old that the steps are uneven due to constant use. The Children's department has a new display dedicated to "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" with a three-dimensional wardrobe with a real lamp-post inside. I notice on the map the Pennsylvania department, where I spent hours researching my father's family.

I love that place.

No comments: