01 May, 2006

Someday...

I took a break from my late-night typing to read Josh Harris' blog. I found this quote from a girl named Juli, and absolutely loved it.

...the fact of the matter is that the day I am a bride, the only thing I "deserve" will still be hell and I will still be saved from it. Anytime we talk about what we "deserve" we are entering into dangerous territory. If I as a bride were to start off my WEDDING day with an attitude built around what I've dreamed of, what I deserve, what I am capable of deciding, and what I FEEL comfortable in, I should fear greatly for my MARRIAGE. Marriage is about the opposite of those things (how can I help my husband fulfill his dreams, how can I honor him, how can I cheerfully submit to his decisions, how can I offer him comfort?) and the beauty of the arrangement is that he will be striving to honor me in the same way. I so desire that someday my wedding will be a day celebrating not my body nor anything about me, but the God who has so graciously given me a husband with whom to become one.

What captured my attention were the four questions about what marriage is, how can I help my husband fulfill his dreams, how can I honor him, how can I cheerfully submit to his decisions, how can I offer him comfort? That's probably the most meaningful, concise description of marriage I've ever encountered. It also made me think...would it be preposterous to have an altar call at a wedding? If I could have a dream wedding, it would involve a conversion :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, shan. since only boys read your blog, mebbe write these things down on paper or discuss it with mom/ female friends. mm'k? k, thanks

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Why? Isn't it important to discuss one of the most important decisions of life, and the events surrounding that decision?

Guys (who read my blog), what do you say? Do you care about the wedding ceremony at all?

Anonymous said...

I would merely like to comment that I am not a guy. Er yes... Anyhow old chum, I have all sorts of thoughts floating around in my head marked 'big and important' and some of which think they are about your post. Sadly, they are hand shy at the moment and wont come to me.

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Breka, if your thoughts ever feel more social, I'd love to meet them :-) And, thanks for reading my blog!