13 January, 2006

Zorro ,><, (those are crossed swords)

Mm! Defenders with swords make such good movie subjects. "The Legend of Zorro" was a fun movie. It was full of action, yet not mindless in the least. The fighting was excellent, though it did seem somewhat stiff and choreographed when Zorro was fighting multiple opponents. However, any duel would involve more than swords, so fists, feet, capes, and various objects flew around frequently without seeming overused. The romance was handled in a way that I didn't approve... constant kissing devalues a kiss, so when Zorro and Elena finally understand each other and are once again fighting back-to-back, their "make-out sessions" don't hold the same significance *rolls eyes*.

Zorro himself seemed to relish the role, even the uncomfortable parts. The results of his alcoholism seemed realistic, though I haven't had any experience with that, so I really don't have a basis to judge his acting there. Elena was very convincing as a female fighter, and didn't strike me as trying to be manly (as other such characters can be...*coughelizabethswancough*). Joaquin was absolutely adorable! He reminds me of some people I know :-P None of the characters seemed useless or underdeveloped, which is hard to find in recent movies. This movie balanced character development with action in an excellent way.

Issues that were raised weren't ignored by the director. I LOVE that. Balancing family with other demands seems to be of primary concern, but it really isn't. Everyone has alterior motives, whether voluntary or not. Zorro was trying to protect his newly-established state, while his wife was trying to protect their family, and the antagonist was protecting the status of his knight's order. Organized religion was abused quite frequently to further the causes of two specific characters, which made me wonder. Do people often view organized religion that way? But it wasn't central to the story, just a personal interest.

My friend (an engineering student) and I laughed at the silliness of the "lab" where they developed nitroglycerin, which the antagonist used as an explosive. Green globes and flashing bright lights don't make movie sets look like labs...sorry, director. But the situations that the director puts Zorro and Elena in change from sad to depressing to dangerous to funny. None of the emotion seemed contrived, even little Joaquin's tears. My only complaint is that Elena needs to redistribute her clothing and wrap something around her shoulders. I loved the film as a whole.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked that movie. I thought the little boy was the cutest thing ever. Some of it got kinda slow though. The first Zorro movie was really good too.